The importance of the color palette, its impact on well-being, and on mood, and on the perception of the aesthetics of garden ensembles are undeniable. Color not only affects us, but also is a subtle tool for turning the garden and its individual objects into a paradise oasis. The selection and use of color in garden art is in many ways akin to how artists use it. Only instead of paints and brushes, gardeners and designers use plants. And there are cultures very special, bringing real explosions of color and emotions into the landscapes.Flower garden
Garden color therapy
The question of whether to use color as a special design tool is no longer relevant. Much more important is to think about how it should be used in the garden. Skillful color manipulation allows you to achieve amazing results even with small means and effort, and a careless approach can ruin the most luxurious ensembles. Color is emotion. And if you want to create not only your own, individually unique and recognizable, but also a joyful garden that meets your character, you can not ignore coloristic tools in any case.
The effect of color is multifaceted and individual. For some, the beloved is blue, not soothing as much as harmonizing, but for some, yellow is not at all joyful, but aggressive and annoying. The approach to color should be individual. The color scheme of not only the garden as a whole, but every object should be liked by you, be psychologically comfortable. All colors are different in the nature of their influence, and we all respond to colors differently. What prompts the activity of some may inspire peace in others. Colors that you don’t like cause irritation in the garden, they affect twice as much (this rule also works “on the contrary” - beloved, sweet to the heart tones also act much more powerful than shades that do not cause special emotions).
We will not talk about the physical aspects of the influence of color, which is just light waves, and about the whole complex, multifaceted and limitless science of the psychology of color. It’s enough to mention that the same nerve impulses, thanks to which we distinguish colors from each other, affect metabolism, hormone balance, and blood pressure. And in many ways, the effect of color is not so much imaginary as physical. In interior design, the use of color to create mood, reveal style, emphasize or hide, today brought to the absolute.
The use of both the basic palette and accent colors has long turned into art. But in garden design, color is used more intuitively, based on gusts, especially when it comes to unprofessional design. But even though the color is not always perceived as the most important feature of plants, it is often he who is the common motive, the unifying link that brings harmony to garden design.
In spring, for example, we perceive the long-awaited warmth and the beginning of the garden season not so much thanks to the delicate colors of crocuses and snowdrops, but through the images of dazzling yellow forsythia, daffodils and kerria. In summer, lavender, sage, catnip, Veronica, and delphiniums always always cause special admiration - they delight the eye with cool colors, as if giving rest to the soul and body from the ruthless sun. In the fall, fiery colors, orange, carmine, rich wine tones are sweetest in any garden.Color therapy alley in the garden
Color as a tool for functional zoning
But rely only on intuition is not worth it. Color is a tool that will help you create the mood you need with minimal effort. Different functional zones, objects with a specific purpose are most easily made especially atmospheric precisely with the help of a color palette. Having painted zones and corners for rest, places of family meals, working corners with the “right” colors, you will strengthen their functional purpose.
Yellow, orange, red - three absolute colors of warm tones, stimulate, awaken activity, give energy and contribute to fun. They are ideal for arranging places for fun parties, family dinners, barbecue, swimming, playgrounds, as well as work areas, including places for transplanting potted ones, etc.
Blue and green are the colors for those functional areas that are designed for relaxation and contemplation, detachment from the world and its hustle and bustle. Peace, pacification, harmony, elegance and coolness in the color scheme of the environment seem to wash off the tension with a fresh wave and allow you to lose the burden of the day, full of garden troubles. This palette is ideal for relaxation and meditation areas, hidden corners.
Color saturation, its brightness directly determine the intensity of its impact. The closer the color to the “acrylic” standards, the middle, brightest colors, the more pronounced is its psychotherapeutic character.
A variety of plants cannot but delight. Their attractiveness, texture, size, shape of leaves and inflorescences, as well as the variability of shades and color nuances, are truly endless. But there are plants in which color turns into a powerful, almost psychotherapeutic tool. They transform space and set the mood. Get to know these colorful garden stars closer.Red color accent
The most passionate of all colors awakens activity, energy and literally charges with warmth. This is the color that is best chosen for playgrounds for games and entertainment. In addition to physical activity, red accents evoke courage and determination, make decisions and tune in to gardening. This is the most "focused" of all the active colors, the color of action and fun.
The best plants with the most “strong” red tones belong:
- lilies and daylilies, in which the shape of the flower perfectly emphasizes the nature of the effect of red, enhances the influence of color;
- shrubby and climbing roses with scarlet and carmine color, the most elegant, noble and active of red plants;
- monarda, the inflorescences of which, as if by splashes, fireworks, flash on flower beds, illuminate the surrounding space with energetic passion;
- the red-leaved varieties of Barberry Thunberg, whose noble greens cardinally changes to dazzling colors during fruiting and autumn transformation, expressive and constant in their "red aura";
- the annual sage of the Rubra variety or other red varieties, which creates massive but airy color spots;
- poppies, one look at the scarlet inflorescences of which can brighten up any day;
- tulips of red varieties, prim, elegant and so unforgettably bright, as well as stimulating activity;
- Rhododendrons of red varieties, during flowering similar to luxurious clouds.
Yellow in the brightest colors - the color is no less active, but "unfocused". It, like sunlight, gives joy and happiness, but does not induce physical activity. This is the color of good mood, cordiality, the sun and fantasies. He is especially good as a stimulator of creative thinking, for drafting projects, plans, for those who like to craft with their own hands and look for original ideas. And not only for inspiration for gardening, but also for finding new solutions for your work. Another important yellow function is that it encourages change, transformation, new beginnings.
The main yellow psychotherapist in any composition is sunflower. Both ordinary fruit and decorative sunflowers literally symbolize the sun and its energy. These are the best garden optimists who can become the source of more than one smile.Flower bed of yellow sedum. © omedis
They also convey yellow magic very well.:
- rudbeckias, similar in effect to sunflowers, but thanks to bright patterns and a black convex center of inflorescences, bringing order into the energy of the yellow sea of flowers;
- more gentle in effect, but perfectly creating the feeling of a festive explosion of yellow coreopsis;
- no less elegant heliopsis, whose inflorescence baskets bloom lush bushes with chintz ornaments;
- daffodils, with purity of yellow color with which even Forsythia cannot argue;
- goldenrod, creating a stunningly powerful yellow background;
- evening primrose with its cool, dazzling shade of lemon color and tenderness that is far from immediately striking;
- milkweed, similar to lush lush spheres and beautiful at the beginning of the season.
Fiery psychotherapists among plants
Orange is a very special color among the warm. It arouses interest and appetite, gives not just fun, but interest, involvement, cohesion. This is the color of communication, openness, a positive point of view on reality. The real color is an optimist, he acts much more accurately and softer than his fiery counterparts. Orange is especially good at accessories. Moreover, each item, even a small one, is as important as the plants themselves in terms of force of action.Flower bed in orange tones. © Kerry Meyer
Stars with a pure orange color that bring its energy to the design:
- knifofiya with its luxurious, as if flame-laden, dense vertical inflorescences;
- gelenium with its rich palette of shades from rusty to copper and brick, noble, restrained, but surprisingly energetic, and alluring to admire the texture of the inflorescences hiding the bushes;
- dahlias, orange varieties of which are perceived surprisingly fresh, stand out against any competitors in the game of colors, light and shadow, seeming soaring spheres;
- daylilies of fiery varieties, noble, dazzlingly bright against the background of muffled narrow foliage, as if exploding on flower beds and in small places;
- nasturtium, which always seems perfect, cheerful, fresh, evoking a joyful mood and inviting to indulge in friendly conversation;
- marigolds with their long-known beauty, which, nevertheless, do not stop touching their hearts in the second half of the garden season, causing special emotions;
- eschscholzia, whose silk flowers against a background of darkish, gray greens seem especially joyful;
- calendula - the plant is not as simple as it seems at first glance, emotional and bright.
Masters of Blue Calm
Calming blue is not accidentally characteristic of the main texture plants from among garden crops. This is the color of appeasement, relaxation, calm contemplation. Pure, appealing to water and its amazing effect, it is favorable not only for relaxing in the garden, but also for gaining inner peace, stability, a special state of peace. In the company of garden stars with a blue color, you can retire, abandon the busy schedule and worries and relax. It is the color of calm thoughts, dreams, meditation, ideal for decorating corners and objects intended for relaxation.Alley to the house of blue hydrangeas. © sanda
The best plants with a blue palette, in addition to the already mentioned delphiniums, Veronica, catnip and sage with lavender:
- bells, whose color is even more touching due to the amazing shape of the flowers and the trembling tenderness of the whole plant, causing tenderness in any circumstances;
- majestic geranium, weaving luxurious carpets and patterns, as if drawing the soil into lilac-purple haze, unsurpassed in creating a romantic fleur;
- felicia, which conquers modest daisies with a rich blue color that dot the green pillows, seeming simple, fresh and surprisingly noble, reminiscent of simple values;
- similar to blue fur, surprisingly atmospheric and soothing cyanotus;
- mountain cornflower, explosions of ultramarine color in which it is possible to evaluate not the first time, airy, delicate, unobtrusive, but powerful in color effect;
- Muscari - tireless favorites of spring, in large groups seeming to be a fresh stream and surprisingly well suited for imitations of water;
- inimitable in the brightness of color, and in the airiness of Ankhuz;
- autumn blue-favorite favorite aconite;
- Chinese gentian decorated, whose beauty can not be called otherwise than jewelry.
Green and expressive like never before
The main anti-stress color in the garden palette is rightfully considered not blue, but green. It brings harmony, helps to find inner balance, it is not easy to forget about problems, and to find their productive solution. He is a real "quencher" of conflicts, calming and inspiring at the same time. To forget about stressful situations and hard work, you should surround yourself with the most spectacular green plants. The function of psychotherapists is best performed by plants with decorative leaves.Flower bed in green colors from decorative foliage plants.
The favorites with the green color are:
- boxwood with its reference green, which plays a powerful duet with a texture in trimmed bushes;
- Rogersia with its bright, large palmate leaves in patterned bushes, looking fresh, festive and noble;
- ferns, with the beauty of carved filigree which no plant can compare for millions of years;
- buzulniki, capable of surprising both the size and color of leaves, as if dipping greens in a sea;
- funky, or hosts offering to surround themselves with expressive shades of green, including outlandish ones;
- hollies, beautiful at any time of the year and impeccably prim in all respects;
- decorative cereals - feather grass, fescue, miscanthus, etc.